Friday, February 13, 2015

I Don't Think it Can be Separate.

As I've told you, I recently completed my master's degree in elementary education. The desire to do so came from a gradual realization that I was not passionate about the field I'd chosen to study as an undergrad. Teaching had always been in the back of my mind and so I went for it. When we moved to Indiana I took a job as a teaching assistant, starting applying to the master's/certification program at IU, and counted down the days until I would qualify as an in-state student. Then I worked my ass off for a year and a half, met some wonderful people who reinforced my love of teaching, and fell head over heels for being in the classroom. 

I've considered starting a separate "teacher" blog or turning this one into a more education-specific place. That's not how my life is, though. There is not one clear, tidy space for my professional life and another for my personal life. I don't think I'm alone here. As an educator, I'm always thinking about what my students need, how can I change, add to, rearrange what I am doing to better serve them. So, there will be more posts about my thoughts on teaching, the education system, wonderful children's books, and the like right alongside stories about our travels, wedding planning, and terrier ennui (It's real and it's hilarious.)

Thanks for being interested in my whatever. 

P.S. I'm totally a broken record, I know, but listen to podcasts. Right now. There are so many good ones. NightvaleInvisibilia, everything else from my one true love, NPR, Babble-On, (Fat Man on Batman, if you're into that kind of thing) Stuff You Missed in History Class. We live in a glorious time of free audio nerdiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment